“Will my newborn baby sleep through the night?”
“How many times do babies nap during the day?”
“What is the average time for a nap?”
“Is it possible for infants to sleep too much or too less?”
As a new or budding parent, the above questions may have crossed your mind.
Or, perhaps, you have your own set of queries ready to be googled.
Hold off on that internet search, though.
Greendigo is your very own sleep fairy, ready to give you a gentle nudge in the right direction.
In this blog, we talk all things ‘baby sleep’.
Here’s what you need to know for a healthy, happy and magical sleep journey.
Attune To the Sleep Clock
According to the National Sleep Foundation, a newborn baby sleeps anywhere between 14 and 19 hours a day. They typically wake up every couple of hours or so to feed.
While breastfed babies tend to feed every 2 to 3 hours, bottle-fed babies feed less often, in intervals of 3 to 4 hours.
Infants who sleep for longer stretches of time, during the day, should be awakened for a feed. This is critical for both, nourishment and development of immunity. In the nights, however, it’s okay to allow babies to sleep for longer periods of time.
That being said, parents should refrain from waking their infants in the day, just so that they sleep longer at night.
Greendigo recommends maintaining a log of your baby’s daily sleeping hours and habits, so that you can align to his or her clock.
Remember, each baby is slightly different. Some begin to sleep through the night, as early as 2 months, while others take much longer.
The trick is to be patient.
Put Together a Safe and Snuggly Cot
Whether your newborn baby sleeps in a crib within a dedicated nursery, or in your own bed, make sure to create a safe and soothing set up.
We’ve listed some helpful tips to ensure peaceful sleep in an enabling environment.
- Use a soft yet firm mattress, with organic cotton sheets that wrap snuggly around.
- Regulate the room temperature, to ensure your baby is warm and comfortable.
- Dim the lights or use a nightlight, this acts as a wonderful sleep cue.
- Play ambient music, for further reinforcement of sleep.
- Place your baby on his or her back, versus the tummy or side, to prevent risk of SIDS (Greendigo’s newborn baby sleeping bag usually does the trick).
- Dress your baby in lightweight and breathable garments like that of Greendigo’s organic newborn baby clothes. This prevents the possibility of a chill, or even, overheating.
- Declutter the bassinet or bed; remove stuffed animals, loose bedding, extra pillows, and more. The last thing you need is a distraction or a safety hazard.
Now, we recommend using a soothing baby sleep sack for a newborn. Once your baby starts to depict signs of rolling, however, a baby sleeping bag is great.
Greendigo offers both of these amazing sleep products in a 100% pure, GOTS certified, organic cotton.
We also offer soft and cosy bedsheets, pillow covers, blankets, and more.
Follow our expert tips, and you’ll definitely reap the sleep benefits.