We’ve Got the Scoop on GOTS | Decode the Meaning Behind This Sustainable Textile Tag
As a conscious shopper, you’ve probably come across this acronym more times than you could possibly imagine.
G O T S
Four itsy-bitsy letters, with a fourfold impact.
A short-form that’s taking the sustainable fashion world by storm.
An abbreviation with an ambitious mission.
The top-rated keyword and trending hashtag.
But what does it stand for, what’s the intention behind it, and is the reality just as good?
If you’ve been hit by a plague of questions, don’t worry, this GOTS guide is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Scroll through our easy-breezy Q&A.
Not only does it offer helpful information, but provides insight, from a certified brand itself – Greendigo!
Before we delve in, GOTS stands for Global Organic Textile Standard.
Now, you’re officially ready to go(ts)!
The Global Organic Textile Standard is a benchmark certification of authenticity and quality.
It provides credible assurance to a customer that a product is organic.
The next time you spot the little white-and-green tag on an item of clothing, you can be absolutely certain of its meaning and value.
GOTS is internationally recognised as the strictest organic textile standard because it goes beyond the purview of the farming process, to including every step of manufacturing process.
From the sowing and harvesting of raw materials, to the finished product.
And it just doesn’t stop there.
The certification also ensures the highest level of environmental and social criteria throughout the supply chain.
A classic win-win-win situation.
If a brand has earned the uber respectable GOTS certification, it means that the textile has ticked the following boxes.
- Contains a minimum of 95% of organic fibres, or made with organic materials requiring at least 70% of organic fibres.
- Not treated with bleaches, dyes, auxiliaries, heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nanoparticles, chlorine bleaches, phthalates, PVC, carcinogenic amine compounds, genetically modified organisms, or other hazardous substances.
- Produced in a mill or factory that enforces strict social and environmental standards.
- Maintains records of chemical usage, energy and water consumption, along with wastewater treatment, including the disposal of sludge.
GOTS certified equals a cut above the rest.
Apart from being the most comprehensive and inclusive organic textile standard in the world, GOTS offers the following:
- Simplicity and ease in managing the end-to-end supply chain.
- Little to no risk, due to verification by independent certification bodies.
- A guarantee of responsible processing, as well as proof of the organic origin of the product.
- Compliance with all the rules governing labour and human rights.
- Identification of a list of substances (Manufacturing Restricted Substance List) prohibited for use during production processes.
The GOTS advantage speaks for itself.
Greendigo is proud to be a GOTS certified organic cotton brand for kids.
We comply with the strictest social and environmental requirements, from farm to factory to your front door.
This means, happy, worry-free and low-risk shopping for parents.
As a Greendigo customer and community member, you’re guaranteed the authenticity of your purchase.
No ambiguity, only transparency.
Our products are manufactured without any harmful chemicals, with the utmost care for the planet and people.
That’s got(s) to be at the top your list, right?!